They are finally on the tracks and running. What are the rules though?
The ION Trains have hit the rails in K-W for testing. Most of us have seen one by now on a test run. They are live on the entire route. There are lots of questions though about their safety. The Region has put out information for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians on how to stay safe when using or travelling around the trains.
The safety tips include:
· Obey Signage that is up along the route and at all stops.
· Many intersections that the ION runs through have been modified to pedestrians and vehicles.
· NEVER stop on the ION tracks, or for that matter on any railway tracks
· Never walk, or park on the tracks
· Stay alert when you are around the tracks
· The ION trains are electric, and you might not hear them over the regular street noise.
· Always cross the tracks at designated crossings
· Pay attention around the tracks, don’t be distracted by your mobile devices
· The overhead wires are live electric wires – take care with kites, or if you are using ladders or cutting back trees around them
· Learn and understand the new signage and look at the Region's website.