More Go Trains Scheduled For Kitchener
Ontario Introduces More GO Train Service on the Kitchener Line by 25 Per Cent
New Morning and Evening GO Trains Will Increase Service to Kitchener
KITCHENER— Ontario's Government for the People continues to deliver on its promise to get people moving faster by bringing more GO train service to Kitchener.
Minister of Transportation, Jeff Yurek visited the Kitchener VIA Station today to make the announcement along with Leslie Woo, Chief Planning and Development Officer, Metrolinx.
"We are now increasing service to Kitchener GO by 25 per cent and there will be more news to come," said Minister Yurek. "This is an important step as we continue working with CN to deliver more service and offer two-way, all-day GO train service for people on the Kitchener line as soon as possible."
Starting on January 7, 2019, people travelling by GO Transit between Kitchener and Toronto's Union Station will benefit from additional GO train service every weekday morning and afternoon, with a new trip option for customers in Kitchener, Guelph and Acton.
A morning trip that currently begins at Georgetown GO Station will now begin at Kitchener GO Station at 5:40 a.m., stopping at Guelph and Acton GO stations before continuing to serve all stops to Union Station, arriving at 7:43 a.m.
The existing trip that currently leaves Union Station at 3:35 p.m. and ends at Georgetown GO Station will extend to Kitchener GO Station, stopping at Acton and Guelph GO stations before arriving in Kitchener at 5:43 p.m.
"Thanks to an enhanced relationship with our rail partner, CN, we are increasing GO train service for people travelling on the Kitchener line without waiting for a costly rail bypass," said Minister Yurek.
"The new service on the Kitchener GO line offers people more flexibility and more choices when planning their commute," said Kitchener—Conestoga MPP Mike Harris.
"Making it easier and more convenient for people commuting between Waterloo Region and Toronto is important to growing our economy and creating good jobs for people through Ontario," said Kitchener South—Hespler MPP Amy Fee.
"Each new transportation link between Waterloo Region and Toronto makes our entire community stronger," said Cambridge MPP Belinda Karahalios.
Commuters will also benefit from an additional morning trip option from Georgetown, Brampton and Mount Pleasant GO stations, and a new afternoon trip from Union Station to Bloor, Weston, Etobicoke North and Malton GO stations.
"We're very excited to push our GO Expansion program forward with new GO train service for commuters in Kitchener and Brampton this January," said Leslie Woo, Chief Planning and Development Officer, Metrolinx. "More service means more freedom and more relief from congested roadways. This is the start of more great things to come for our customers on the Kitchener line."
Starting In January
Starting January 7, we’re extending some trips and making other changes on the Kitchener line to provide more morning and evening service between Kitchener and Georgetown, more morning trips out of Mount Pleasant and Brampton, and another afternoon option for those travelling to Bloor, Weston, Etobicoke North and Malton GO stations.
Changes to morning eastbound service:
These morning eastbound trips will be extended:
- The 5:54 a.m. trip from Bramalea GO will now start from Mount Pleasant GO at 5:38 a.m., making all stops and arriving at Union as usual at 6:32 a.m.
- The 5:56 a.m. trip from Mount Pleasant GO will now start from Georgetown GO at 5:47 a.m., making all stops and arriving at Union as usual at 6:50 a.m.
- The trip that previously left Georgetown GO at 6:48 a.m. trip will now start from Kitchener GO at 5:40 a.m., with earlier departures along the line, and arriving at Union at 7:43 a.m. The number of train coaches on this trip will now be 12 instead of 10.
On the 5:47 a.m. eastbound trip from Georgetown GO, the train will have 10 coaches instead of 12.
There will be time changes on some trips with departures up to nine minutes earlier so be sure to check the new schedule.
Changes to afternoon westbound service:
These afternoon westbound trips will be extended:
- The 3:35 p.m. trip from Union will be extended to Kitchener GO, making stops in Acton and Guelph, and arriving at Kitchener at 5:43 p.m. The number of train coaches on this trip will increase from 10 to 12 to accommodate more riders.
- The 5:02 p.m. trip from Union will be extended to Kitchener GO, making stops in Georgetown, Acton and Guelph, and arriving at Kitchener at 7:11 p.m. The number of train coaches on this trip will now be 10 instead of 12 to align with train storage capacity in Kitchener.
These afternoon westbound trips will change:
- The 4:20 p.m. trip from Union will now depart at 4:04 p.m., with earlier departure times along the line, arriving at Georgetown GO at 5:12 p.m.
- The 4:50 p.m. trip from Union will now depart at 4:35 p.m., make new stops at Bloor, Weston, Etobicoke and Malton GO and will now terminate at Georgetown GO at 5:43 p.m. (Passengers who previously used this trip to travel to Acton, Guelph and Kitchener GO stations can now take the train departing Union at 5:02 p.m.)
- The 5:20 p.m. trip from Union will now depart at 5:27 p.m., with later departure times along the line, arriving at Kitchener GO at 7:39 p.m.
- The 5:50 p.m. trip from Union will now depart at 6 p.m., with times along the time also later, arriving at Kitchener GO at 8:07 p.m.