Do you know what to do following a car accident?
The sad fact of life is that most of us will be in at least one fender bender or major accident in our lives. Knowing what to do following the accident is extremely important.
A recent poll from TD Insurance found that only about 30% of drivers know what to do following a car accident.
- Act calmly and rationally.
- Whether you are the driver or a passenger, the first thing you need to do is assess whether you or anyone has been injured. If they have, then you need to immediately call 911 and begin first aid if you are able.
- Call 911 if you believe there is major damage (greater than $1000 in damage) or if you think the driver is committing a criminal offence (drunk or otherwise impaired)
- Do NOT creat conflict.
- Do NOT accept offers of money
- Do NOT admit to any blame.
- Exchange information about drivers licences and insurance. Most mobile phones have a camera. Take a photo of the information as well.
- Take photos of the accident.
- Contact the inurance provider as soon as possible to advise them of the accident.
If you feel that you need legal advice following an acident please contact me immediately, and I'll be pleased to speak with you about your options and obligations.