Drunk Driving Convictions
We all know that impaired driving is illegal. What most people don't realize is the wide ranging consequesnces of such a conviction. If you are convicted of impaired driving as a first offence, and you have tested over 0.08 BAC you will:
- have a 90 roadside suspension
- pay a fine
- you will be required to attend alcohol education programmes
- you will be required to have an ignition interlock
- you will have your car impounded
- you will lose your licence for 1 year
- you will have a criminal record which will impede your ability to travel outside Canada, and which may restrict your employment opportunities
- you will find it difficult to find affordable car insurance and you will be in the 'facility' pool. Rates of $10,000.00 per year are not uncommon.
- your legal fees will rance from $2,000-$10,000
If you are convicted more than once the fines and penalties you face will increase. You can find a good summary of the consequences on the MTO website. Remember that if you do make the horrible mistake of drinking then driving and you are arrested you should call your lawyer immediately to ensure that your rights are protected.