What to Consider When Looking for a Personal Injury Lawyer
Insurance companies exist to insure you in the event of an accident. It's important to remember that it is the job of every single employee at the company to pay you the minimum that they can in the event of a claim. Keeping that in mind, and the fact there are statutory timelines for acting on claims, and the fact that the paperwork surrounding a claim can be challenging to complete you may be well served by hiring a personal injury lawyer to act on your behalf.
Here are some tips on personal injury lawyers:
- Be wary of a lawyer that contacts you after an accident. This is not ethical or legal in many jurisdictions, but it does still happen.
- Referrals from friends, family and colleagues are important and a great start. Ask them if they’ve ever hired a personal injury lawyer, and whether they would hire the lawyer again, and why.
- If you have another kind of lawyer ask them for recommendations.
- The initial consultation should be free. Take advantage of this and seek the advice of a few lawyers.
- Make sure you can be open and honest with your lawyer. If you don’t feel you can be, then investigate another lawyer.