When to call 911


We are fortunate to live in a well police and safe region. You can report crimes online, in person, via a non-emergency phone number (519) 570-9777 or in emergency only 911.

The 911 service for Waterloo Region is run through the Waterloo Regional Police. 911 is an EMERGENCY service. When you call 911 you will be greeted with “911 What is your emergency?”. The dispatcher will ascertain the nature of your emergency (crime, medical, or fire) and will then also advise the other services required to dispatch to your emergency. They will take your personal information and the location you are at. If you call on a cell phone, they will take that number as well.

You can be charged for making crank calls to 911.

When to call 911:

  • Any true life threatening emergency
  • Someone is experiencing symptoms of heart attack, stroke, choking, or serious breathing difficulties
  • Someone is passed out or unresponsive or dead
  • If you are involved in or watching an active crime or assault
  • If people are behaving suspiciously in your vicinity
  • If anyone has a weapon
  • Any car accident with personal injury
  • Any fire
  • Any other life threatening situation
  • Sexual assault
  • Child abuse
  • Human trafficking
  • If you have immediate fear for your personal safety
  • If you see an impaired/texting driver or someone drinking and driving

If any of the following circumstances exist, you should call 911 immediately.

  • Personal injury or death;
  • Any criminal activity, such as an impaired driver, stolen vehicles, assaults
  • A government vehicle of any kind, including taxi cabs;
  • A vehicle transporting dangerous goods;
  • A person who's drivers licence is suspended or is not insured;
  • Damage to private, municipal or highway property;
  • A pedestrian or cyclist;
  • An uncooperative driver;
  • A threatening driver
  • One or more of the drivers resides outside the Regional Municipality of Waterloo

Don’t call 911 instead call Non-Emergency 519-570-9777 (WRPS)

  • To report stolen licence plates
  • Noise complaints
  • A break and enter that has already occurred
  • To complain about your neighbours
  • To ask for the weather
  • To ask for a wake up call
  • To report a minor collision with no injuries and no damage
  • Damage to Vehicle (other than by collision and under $5000)
  • Lost Property (Under $5000)
  • Lost / Stolen Drivers Licence
  • Mischief/Damage to Property (Under $5000)
  • Theft (Under $5000)
  • Theft from Vehicle (Under $5000)
  • Theft or Loss of Licence Plates
  • Theft or Loss of Government issued Personal Identification documents
  • Crank calls
Articles by Month of Posting