GRCA Native Tree Ordering Has Started For Spring Planting
GRCA Tree Orders Started October 1st For Spring 2014 Planting
Demand For 300,000 Available Trees Is High So Order Now
Tree orders for spring 2014 planting can now be made online, as of October 1st.
The GRCA has an inventory of 300,000 native trees available to watershed landowners with a property that is greater than one hectare (2.5 acres) exclusive of buildings, within the Grand River watershed. The GRCA has over 30 native species available for next spring.
GRCA staff do site visits with landowners during the fall to create planting plans for next year. Sites may have to be prepared this fall to be ready to plant in the spring. A phone call to the GRCA now means your name will be added to the list for site visits. Demand for this service is high, so the sooner you call, the greater the likelihood that you will have trees on your property next spring.
If you already know what you need and intend to plant the trees yourself, then you can order online now.
The GRCA planted 280,000 trees this year and more than 180,000 of them were on private land.
The GRCA can also help landowners obtain grants to offset some of the cost. Projects such as windbreaks, shelterbelts, riparian buffers and large block plantings can receive grants covering 70 to 90 percent from sources such as Trees Ontario and the Rural Water Quality Program.
· For plantings that will be done by GRCA staff the deadline to order is Dec. 1. The minimum order is 500 seedlings or 30 saplings or potted plants.
· For plantings that will be done by the landowner the deadline is March 1, 2013. The minimum order is 200 seedlings or 20 saplings or potted plants.
For more information, check the Forestry section of the GRCA website at the link below or call the appropriate staff member for your area at the GRCA office at 519-621-2761:
· Waterloo Region, Oxford County, Brant County, Hamilton and Haldimand County – Jessica Robbins, Ext. 2277
· Wellington County, Perth County Halton Region and Dufferin County – Myles Henderson, Ext. 2262
· Mapleton Township – Mark Funk Ext. 2259.