Delta Variant Surge: Combatting increased COVID-19 case rates in Waterloo Region
Joint Statement: There are increased COVID-19 case rates in Waterloo Region
Waterloo Region – Waterloo Region is experiencing an increasing number of COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and outbreaks, believed to be due to the usual risk factors, combined with the spread of the Delta variant. Residents should assume that the Delta variant is circulating widely in Waterloo Region and that there are much higher case numbers of this variant than can be currently confirmed.
Individuals who are not immunized are most likely to be infected with the Delta variant. The variant will also spread easily in groups that are not following public health guidelines and are not immunized.
What we are doing:
- Every vaccine dose we have is getting out into arms immediately.
- Strongly and clearly advocating for additional vaccine to be quickly delivered to our region.
- Expanding our capacity to deliver more vaccines, including through pharmacies, primary care, mobile teams, and public vaccination clinics.
- New late evening clinics coming.
- Accelerating second doses, including in high priority neighbourhoods.
- Continuing to encourage residents to be tested, to follow public health guidance, and providing contact tracing and isolation support.
What you can do:
- Get a COVID-19 vaccine – through pharmacies, primary care, or through the Region by pre-registering. You will get a first-dose appointment right away.
- Take the vaccine offered to you – it is safe to mix vaccines and it helps to get more people fully vaccinated as fast as possible.
- If you are eligible, request to move up your second dose. As soon as we have vaccine we will contact you to move up your appointment: Second dose booking request.
- Follow public health guidance. Physical distance, wash your hands, wear a mask (if you can), and limit your contact with people outside of your household.
The Delta variant is here and spreading rapidly in our community. However, we can stop the spread together and keep our case rates down by getting fully vaccinated as quickly as possible and following public health guidance and measures. If case rates do not decrease, we may not be able to move to Step 2 with the rest of the province. As vaccination offers the greatest protection against the Delta variant, we will continue to work with our partners at the provincial government to increase vaccine availability and capacity in our community.
Dr. Hsiu-Li Wang, Medical Officer of Health
Deputy Chief Shirley Hilton for WRPS and Head of the Waterloo Region Vaccine Distribution Task Force