Rangers Win Friday Against Sting, But Suffer Sunday Loss To Highway 7 Rivals Guelph Storm

By: Kw Now Local News
| Published 10/25/2021


Friday FINAL (SHOOT OUT): Rangers 3, Spitfires 2

'The Rangers fall 4-2 to the Storm on Sunday after Receiving 9 penalties.'

The Kitchener Rangers beat the Windsor Spitfires 3-2 in a shootout to keep their perfect season alive at 5-0.

In the 1st period, Simon Motew scored his first of the season from a nice feed by Declan McDonnell to put the blue shirts up 1-0. Shortly after, the Rangers got into some penalty trouble, with Windsor capitalizing on their second powerplay to tie the game 1-1.

To start the 2nd, the Rangers killed off a penalty to give them a little momentum, but the game remained tied. About seven minutes into the period, Matthew Maggio extended Windsor's lead to 2-1.

The Rangers started the 3rd period much better, with Roman Schmidt scoring his fourth of the season which made it a 2-2 game. The rest of regulation solved nothing as the Rangers and Spitfires headed into OT.

Overtime saw no one score but saw goalie Pavel Cajan shine as the Rangers were shorthanded for the first half of the frame.

In the four-round shootout, the Rangers got goals from Francesco Pinelli, Mike Petizian, and Carson Rehkopf to edge the visiting Windsor Spitfires 3-2.

Sunday FINAL: Rangers 2, Storm 4

The Kitchener Rangers headed down highway 7 to faceoff against the Guelph Storm on Sunday afternoon.

The first period was very physical, as this is the fourth meeting of the month for these two teams. There was lots of back and forth play, but the game remained scoreless.

In the second period, Guelph opened the scoring on the powerplay to take the lead 1-0. Soon after, Joesph Serpa was on the receiving end of a beautiful tic-tac-toe play. His third goal of the season tied the game 1-1. The Rangers got themselves into penalty trouble, as Guelph took back the lead on another powerplay.

With 13 minutes remaining in the third period, Guelph's Sasha Pastujov scored to make it 3-1. Arber Xhekaj took a double minor and the Rangers were assessed a bench penalty on the same play, giving Guelph an extended powerplay. They would continue to score to make it 4-1. Arber Xhekaj was given a 10-minute misconduct midway through the period, ending his night. Roman Schmidt added a goal for the Rangers on the powerplay late in the period.

A penalty-filled game saw the Rangers fall 4-2 to the Storm.